Changing A Minor's Surname According To The Law

No one can predict what the future will bring for couples. Even when you are compatible, there are still some circumstances that will tear you apart. Even when love bears children, they are the ones who suffer when things go wrong. It is not just a simple battle of custody and support. 

When pride and ego get in the way, there is more to separation than just coming to an agreement. Making sure that nothing and no one will remind you of your ex is part of the moving on process. This is why, some single moms prefer to have their children use their surname instead. 

Unfortunately, it is not an easy process. In fact, it takes more than a simple affidavit to grant such a request. Under Article 376 of the Civil Code, changing one's surname should have judicial authority.

Republic Act No. 9048 provides detailed information about the correct process of filing a petition. 

Section 3. Who May File the Petition and Where. – Any person having direct and personal interest in the correction of a clerical or typographical error in an entry and/or change of first name or nickname in the civil register may file, in person, a verified petition with the local civil registry office of the city or municipality where the record being sought to be corrected or changed is kept.

In case the petitioner has already migrated to another place in the country and it would not be practical for such party, in terms of transportation expenses, time and effort to appear in person before the local civil registrar keeping the documents to be corrected or changed, the petition may be filed, in person, with the local civil registrar of the place where the interested party is presently residing or domiciled. The two (2) local civil registrars concerned will then communicate to facilitate the processing of the petition.

Citizens of the Philippines who are presently residing or domiciled in foreign countries may file their petition, in person, with the nearest Philippine Consulates.

The petitions filed with the city or municipal civil registrar or the consul general shall be processed in accordance with this Act and its implementing rules and regulations.

All petitions for the clerical or typographical errors and/or change of first names or nicknames may be availed of only once.

Section 4. Grounds for Change of First Name or Nickname. – The petition for change of first name or nickname may be allowed in any of the following cases:

(1) The petitioner finds the first name or nickname to be ridiculous, tainted with dishonor or extremely difficult to write or pronounce.

(2) The new first name or nickname has been habitually and continuously used by the petitioner and he has been publicly known by that by that first name or nickname in the community: or

(3) The change will avoid confusion.

Pinoy Attorney

Written by : Pinoy Attorney